Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Monkeys, Typewriters and Shakespeare

Today, just before I left the office, I overheard a co-worker spouting the old saw about how if you put a million monkeys in a room with a million typewriters for long enough, they'd eventually come up with the works of Shakespeare. Since most of my thoughts at work lately have focused on process improvement, the first thing that crossed my mind when I heard this was: "Well that's an inelegant and inefficient way to do things. Perhaps if you selected two or three promising monkeys and put them through some creative writing classes, you could save yourself a lot of time and trouble."

However, it then occurred to me that for my policy proposal to be workable, I'd have to figure out how to deal with the resulting massive unemployment among monkey typists.

And that's when I realized that I'd pretty much lost it and decided to call it a day.

No comments: