Monday, October 24, 2005

The Editors on Iraq

Even though I primarily read The Poor Man for the witty, insightful commentary, I think The Editors may have reached a new plateau with this one:
I realize I should be celebrating the latest famous victory in Iraq, namely the purported approval of something calling itself “a constitution”; but, after celebrating the fall of Baghdad, the killing of Ebay and Uckfay, the capture of Saddama Claus, our string of military victories in Samarra, Fallujah, Najaf, Samarra, Najaf, Fallujah, Samarra, the blue fingers of freedom, Saddam’s trial, and every other fucking turning point and tunnel-ending light I forgot to mention, I’m all celebrated out, and I’m starting to wonder how many fucking backs the insurgency has left for us to break. I’m starting to think that all these “victories” may be mostly PR events, designed to cover up domestic political problems and the fact that Iraq is a complete disaster.

No comments: