Tuesday, December 04, 2007

NPR Presidential Debates - Observations

I've been listening to the whole NPR Iowa Presidential debate, and here are my observations so far.

Apparently, this wasn't intended to be a Dem-only debate, but all of the Republican candidates had scheduling conflicts. Whatever the reason, I'm pleased that the outcome was thus.

I'm not sure what's up, but the NPR questioners are all asking questions with the Republican framing hardcore front-and-center. Every question and follow-up about illegal immigration is being aggressively pursued from the Republican rhetorical angle. It's very bizarre.

I'd say all of the Dem candidates presented themselves very well, and made the NPR questioners sound foolish and simple-minded. (The odd Gravel meltdown, notwithstanding) The Dems did a good job of reframing the conversation away from the questioners' Republican slant. The only annoying bits were the constant chants of why each candidate is uniquely qualified on whatever topic and "I was first!"

My personal "favorable" numbers for both Obama and Hillary went up substantially. I still think Edwards is the man, but I'm a lot less inclined to agree with the statement that "Hillary and Obama are both tools of their corporate masters."

Admittedly, it might be my own personal bias, but I'd have to say Obama, Hillary and Edwards came out of this sounding the best. Although the questioners seemed not to shut them down as frequently as they did to the rest of the pack.

Final Verdict: No surprises from this, (excluding the bizarre Republican framing from NPR) I think they all did a really good job on presenting a message, and I'd be comfortable voting for whomever happens to get the nomination.

Update: I forgot about Hillary's explanation about having voted to formally declare the Iranian Special Guard a terrorist organization. I found her statements annoying and a little naive. I still don't see how that decree could be taken as anything other than another incremental tool for Bush/Cheney to go to war with Iran, specific prohibitions in that same bill or not. -10 pts. for Hill.

No comments: