Thursday, September 01, 2005

Anticipating Katrina

Chimpy today on Good Morning America: (from Kevin Drum)

"I don't think anyone anticipated the breach of the levees."

What's with the Administration and these post-disaster "nobody could have foreseen" explanations? I recall thinking, after Sept 11th, when Condi was talking about how nobody would have conceived of using planes as missles; "Uh...Kamikaze?"

Well, not only did FEMA declare in 2001 that New Orleans getting hit by a hurricane was one of the "likeliest, most catastrophic disasters facing this country", but, as I just found out from TheOilDrum, FX had a movie earlier this summer which started out with exactly this premise; Oil Storm.

Read the plot synopsis, it's good. I think I need to see if this movie is available on DVD.

No comments: