Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Feingold v. Specter on PATRIOT Act Extension

Before I say anything else, let me make clear that as a constituent, and as a liberal-leaning Independent, I respect Arlen Specter. Hell...I've voted for the guy. In a rational, non-partisan world, he exemplifies what I look for in a politician. Further, as a denizen of Corporate America, I am more than aware of the fact that the art of compromise is a virtue.

Unfortunately, I have to say that on the subject of the USA PATRIOT Act, Specter and I are on opposite sides of the fence. And Sen. Feingold and I are not only on the same side of the fence, but we're digging postholes together.

Russ posted a transcript of the debate Senators Feingold and Specter had today regarding the Patriot Act extension. Admittedly, it is an awkward and unfriendly mechanical(?) transcription of the exchange on the Senate floor. And it is painful in its Parliamentary procedures and formalities. But I laughed my ass off reading it, and gained a lot of respect for both Senators for having read it, and I encourage everyone to do the same (Once you've left work and have a free 45 min or so).

Sen. Specter understandably argued that he fought for the best compromise that he could. Details were argued and compromises conceded, apparently. However, my essential agreement with Sen. Feingold was summed up by the following quote from him (admittedly, highly selective - read the whole thing):
A SUNSET IS ONLY A SECOND LEVEL OF PROTECTION SAYING, LOOK, PEOPLES' RIGHTS MIGHT BE VIOLATED NOW, BUT AT LEAST WE'LL HAVE A CHANCE TO CHANGE IT LATER.
One of the things that has been drilled into my head since childhood, regarding the qualities which makes this country great, is that we are better than the fascists and the commies and whatever self-righteous goverments which ignore the principle of "government of the people, by the people, for the people". The country which I love is the country that is secure in its judicial processes over an authoritarian self-protection. I really have to give Russ some serious props for standing up for essential principles over a watered-down compromise, which compromise is fundamentally opposite to what I consider fundamental to our basic liberties.

No comments: