Tuesday, January 17, 2006

They Call Me: Muse

Since my buddy bds1313 is feeling unmotivated today, and as a result felt uninspired to write his daily beer review, I figured I'd try and help inspire him. To wit, here is my first installment of Pete's Drink Review of the Day:

Drink of the Day - Scranton Municipal Tap Water -(Pennsylvania-American Water Company)

This morning, after last night's wicked bender, I woke up feeling like complete dog cr@p...or as I perfer to call it: normal. As such, after an especially urgent trip to the bathroom to relieve my aching bladder, (or as I prefer to call it: Willy) the first thing I did was run downstairs and imbibe two-and-a-half glasses of today's featured drink: Scranton Municipal Tap Water. This fine liquid is brought to you by the fine folks at Pennsylvania-American Water, who have been delivering refreshment and hangover relief since 1886.

The drink was served in a straight-sided pint glass. (and yes, it's an authentic pint.) It originally had a robust lattice and head, until I realized that there was still some dishwashing detergent in the glass when I pulled it out of the sink. One thorough rinsing later, it was entirely lattice- and head-free. The color was disappointingly light...almost transparent. I couldn't really get a good sense of the aroma, because I still needed to blow my nose. (Priorities, dontcha know?) Since this is a domestic, it was served as cold as a jilted ex-girlfriend responding to a late night drunk dial.

The first glass was intensely refreshing and was downed in a matter of seconds, in a desperate, gasping series of gulps. I decided a second glass was called for to truly deliver a meaningful review. The foretaste is subtle...I detected a tang of chlorine and could have sworn I caught a subtle hint of organic solids. The aftertaste was, unfortunately, much like morning breath with a hint of last night's Jameson's (but from my previous experience with this fine liquid, I don't think that's typical. Except, you know, during the first drink of the morning.)

Overall, the my experience with this fine drink was delicious! I think the lack of body and lattice are far outwieghed by the sheer refreshing, hydrating qualities this baby delivers. It gets a solid 9.5 out of 10 on Pete's Drink Scale.

Tune in tomorrow, when I'll be reviewing PAWC's specialty upmarket drink: Scranton Municipal Tap Water from a Brita Filter Pitcher!

No comments: