Friday, February 08, 2008

New Favorite Band - Architecture in Helsinki

I'm probably late to the party on this one, but I just tonight discovered my newest favorite band* (of the moment [I'm fickle]).

The band in question is Architecture in Helsinki. Contrary to the intuitive expectation, they're not from Finland, but rather Australia (at least some of them). It looks like they started out as a worthy shoe-gaze emo band, but they managed to improve on that. Their newer songs tend to range from an intriguing blend of Modest Mouse and Talking Heads, to an interesting mix of Funky 80's-technopop, with a brass section. I've spent the last few years looking for someone who makes some *new* music, that isn't directly derivative of their influences. These dudes and dudettes are it, beyotches!

I'm totally loving the following tunes, in order of kickin' videos:

"Heart it races" (not sure why, but it reminds me of Midnight Oil, in the "Diesel and Dust" era)


"Do the Whirlwind" (with awesome Sega Genesis graphics)


"Hold Music" (reminds me of the "OK Go" video)


P.S.: While researching for this post, I discovered that Peter Garrett, the singer for Midnight Oil, was named Environment Minister after the Labor Party won the recent elections.

*Johnathan Coulter still retains this blog's Most-Favored Artist status, however.

No comments: