Saturday, November 19, 2005

Calls for Withdrawal from Iraq

I think a quick recap is in order. Rep. John Murtha's call for a plan to withdraw troops is apparently a bad thing. I'm hearing that we need to stay in Iraq until our job is done, even though nobody has yet bothered to explain to me exactly what that job is. (Mission not yet Accomplished...got it) In fact in this story, we are told:
“To cut and run would invite terrorism into our backyards, and no one wants to see troops fighting terrorism on American soil,” Speaker Dennis Hastert, R-Ill., said Friday night
Now, it's also not clear to me how Murtha's call for an orderly plan for withdrawal constitutes "cutting and running", nor how that would lead to troops fighting in my backyard. Presumably, my patio furniture has strategic value in the eyes of your modern Islamofascists.

However, in all the fuss on Friday, I nearly missed this lovely little nugget of news:
The top U.S. commander in Iraq has submitted a plan to the Pentagon for withdrawing troops in Iraq, according to a senior defense official.

Gen. George Casey submitted the plan to Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld. It includes numerous options and recommends that brigades -- usually made up of about 2,000 soldiers each -- begin pulling out of Iraq early next year.
HOOOO-boy! I cannot wait to see the fireworks and vitriol launched against those terrorist-loving pinkos! Why does Gen. Casey want to undermine our troops? It's apparently a case of self-loathing similar to that which afflicts Jews who criticize Israel, if I understand my wingnuttery. Let's not forget that Rumsfeld is complicit in this, as well...so he obviously hates our freedoms.

I'm sure the Congressional republicans will be all over these guys on Monday.

UPDATE Looking back over my own blog posts, I'm reminded that pinko Rumsfeld has been giving comfort to our enemies for some time now...

UPDATE 2 In all fairness, I have to note that the original "Rumsfeld calls for fast Iraqi pullout" story was later corrected, and it turns out that he didn't actually say that.

No comments: