Sunday, July 31, 2005

NEPAblogging - 1st Annual Scranton Jazz Fest

Lord knows, I spend enough time bitching about how there's rarely anything interesting to do in the NEPA area. As a result, in the last few years, I've been making a point of going out to whatever interesting events are happening whenever possible, hoping to do my part one $10-bill at a time.

Thus, I feel honor-bound to point out that this coming weekend, on August 6th & 7th, at Nay Aug Park will be the First Annual "Scranton Jazz Fest". Looking over the schedule, I'm a little surprised at how many names I'd expect to see there, but are not, as well as how many I just don't recognize. Saturday night definitely seems worth checking out (Clarence Spady is headlining, and hell, Spady's just amazing!)

Hopefully, I'll also manage to drag my lazy ass out on Sunday as well, but only time will tell. Whatever the case, I think any music-loving NEPA-lese citizens ought to check it out and make sure there's a 2nd Annual Scranton Jazz Fest. (mergenow steps down off his soap box and concludes this PSA)

Lineup:
Saturday Schedule:

2 PM Jim Buckley & Friends- regional baritone saxophonist with piano trio

3 PM Tony Miceli/John Swana & The Philly All-Stars, jazz vibraphonist and jazz trumpet great with bass and drums

4 PM John Coates, Jr., solo piano

5 PM Ilona Knopfler, french jazz vocalist, with The Steve Rudolph Trio

6 PM Mike Fahn, NYC valve trombonist, and Maryann McSweeney (west coast bassist) Quartet with drummng great Bill Goodwin and jazz guitarist Bill Washer

7 PM Tim Warfield, Jr. and friends

8 PM Clarence Spady Blues Band

Sunday Schedule:

2 PM Doug Smith's Dixieland All-Stars

3 PM Roaming Gabriels

4 PM Mark Soskin Trio

5 PM Gary Rissmiller Quartet

6 PM Steve Rudolph Trio

7 PM The Dave Liebman Group

8 PM Scranton Jazz Festival 16-Piece Big Band with special guest TBA.
technorati tag:

No comments: