Sunday, July 03, 2005

Radio and Web Zen

I was just reading this post from Riverbend, discussing Bush's most recent speech. Given the general sense of the "Don't Americans realize..." questions, I was feeling more depressed than usual about the general state of things at this moment.

However, in one of those perfect moments of coincidence, I was simultaneously listening to the rebroadcast of last night's Prairie Home Companion, when they had a short character skit, on which they had a public announcement from Tony Blair, which started:

"This is Tony Blair. On this 4th of July holiday, I want to remind you that we, the British, are now your only friends in the whole world."

I nearly spewed my drink all over my keyboard when I heard it. The rest of the announcement was "Blair" trying to convince Americans not to take the whole "Independence thing" too seriously.

Pure. Comedy. Gold.

No comments: