Saturday, July 02, 2005

Offspring

All evidence points to the likelihood that it's a good thing I've never parented a child. I like other people's children, in suitably small doses, and most of all I like being able to not have to deal with them once they stop being entertaining.

Having said that, we ate at Denny's today. After we'd been there a few minutes, the hostess seated, in the booth behind me, a pair of women and their three children. Now, as a non-parent, I can't understand why people who have kids can't leave their spawn at home when they're going out to an adult restaurant. Surely, they can be locked in a closet safely for the time it takes to go out for a meal. I mean, come on, people...as a smoker, I'm consistently getting marginalized into fewer and more inconvenient spaces...why don't restaurants have No Children sections?

Perhaps the most annoying part of the whole ordeal was that one of the little girls in the booth behind me was singing the "Which one of these is not like the other" song from Seasame Street. Given that she was behind me, I was unable to see what items she was comparing, so now I'm going to be tortured by the fact that I never managed to figure out which one was not like the others.

No comments: