Thursday, August 11, 2005

CBGB's Eviction Overturned

I've only ever actually been inside CBGB's once, on a Saturday afternoon in the summertime, but as a part of rock music's heritage, I'd really hate to see it move/close/whatever.

In trying to figure out the story on the ruling from the scant news article here, I gather that the judge overturned the club's eviction, but there's still no renewal of the lease just yet. If I'm reading this right, it appears that the landlord, the Bowery Resident's Committe, increased the rent 4 years ago, but the club's bookkeepers never noticed and were paying the previous lease amount. And it seems like the landlord either never noticed, or at the very least, never notified CBGBs of the fact, and that's the basis of the eviction proceedings.

Regarding the possibility of renewing the lease, the article has this to say:
As part of its proposal for a new lease, CBGB's has said it would find a third-party guarantor and would raise money for the committee every year with benefit concerts.
Well, if everything works out well in this situation, I'm now going to have to add "go to a show at CBGBs" to my already long Must-Do-Before-I-Die List.

No comments: