Monday, August 15, 2005

Israel and the Gaza Pullout

Before I even start commenting on this, I really need to admit that I'm not well-versed on the whole Israel / Palestine subject. I know the basics, but attempts to strengthen my understanding of the subject have always been battered down by the need to learn historical political background. And, frankly, in what is probably a too-typical US attitude, I find it a lot easier to file the whole subject under "The Whole Middle East is Messed Up" rather than taking the time to understand what is going on over there.

But, of course, today's biggie headline story is the Israeli pullout from Gaza.

Clearly, the fact that Sharon has reversed his "no backing down" stance on the Gaza settlements is a fairly monumental change in attitude. It goes without saying that it will be interesting to see how this move plays out.

No comments: