Friday, June 10, 2005

NEPA Blogging - Wilkes-Barre and "I Believe..."

Okay, so I read in today's Scranton Times about Wilkes-Barre Mayor Tom Leighton's "big announcement", yesterday (I believe). Per the Times, people came out to this mysterious public announcement expecting word of some new company coming into the area, perhaps, or some new infrastructure development.

Turns out, he was kicking off a new marketing slogan for the city (with logo, no less): "I believe..."

That was it. Really.

Per the Times: "Leighton wants people to reverse a negative perception by simply believing in Wilkes-Barre." And what better way to do that, than by building expectations with a secretive, mysterious public announcement? Perhaps the only way would be to come up with a really weak slogan, on top of that.

I've got to give the guy credit for trying, but...seriously, if that isn't one of the saddest "big ideas" I've ever heard, I don't know what is.

I guess it complements the city's "Yard of the Month" contest fairly seamlessly, if nothing else.

No comments: