Saturday, June 11, 2005

UK Drinking Culture

If you live in Northeastern PA, odds are you're a drinker. Further, if you're young and single living in NEPA, there's a pretty good chance you're a world-class heavyweight drinking champion. I've had my fair share of discussions with friends in which we marvel at the standard definitions of "binge drinking"...the standard numbers that constitute binge drinking are what, in my younger days, I would have done at home to pre-game before I went out to the bars/clubs for the evening.

Given this fact, the various drinking cultures of the world are always of interest to me. Of late, I've been reading much about the impending changes to the laws governing closing hours in the UK. To my eyes, it appears that much virtual ink has been spilled in the debate over the attempt to extend closing hours for UK pubs. The inevitable discussions of alcohol dependency and crime have both argued for and against a link between these things and the easy availability of alcohol.

Having said that, today's Independent reports that brewer InBev (the maker of Stella Artois) is pushing to sell beers in fast food restaurants. Hell, not just McDonald's, but also cinemas, gas stations and video rental stores. (Gas stations! "Hey, while I'm here filling up...")

Truly, I am amazed. If they can address that whole too-early closing time problem, it might be time to submit an immigration application.

No comments: