Wednesday, June 22, 2005

This Week's Missing Person Story - Lost Cubscout Edition

I avoided talking about the missing Utah cub scout kid, and discussing the obvious angle of "Media attempting to correct its recent 'missing white women' fixation, by covering a missing white kid", since the whole topic has a "shooting fish in a barrel" kind of quality to it.

However, today, the headlines have made it too hard to pass up.

An MSNBC headline tells us:

"Scout's parents: 'Brennan continues to amaze us'"

Well, goddamn, Mr. and Mrs. Brennan, he amazes me, too. I mean...hell...I was a fairly shy, cautious kid, but I wasn't so brainwashed into the "don't talk to strangers" mindset that I'd allow myself to remain lost in the Utah wilderness for four days, ya know?

This article doesn't seem to talk about it, but earlier ones discussed how he stayed on the trail, but would hide whenever he heard someone coming. Props to the kid for surviving like that, but methinks he might benefit from some counselling to loosen up on the social interaction/paranoia front.

No comments: