Saturday, June 18, 2005

Wachowski Bros doing "V for Vendetta" movie

How could I not have known about this? I've apparently been too damned busy with work.

From the NY Times, I have just learned that The Wachowski Brothers are producing a film of "V for Vendetta", starring Natalie Portman as Evey and Hugo Weaving as V.

Understand that this may have been the book that sparked the peak of my comic book fanboy period. It was also, with "The Watchmen", the book that made me a massive Alan Moore fan. The man who, probably more than any other source, has shaped my view of Thatcherian England. The man who, along with Frank Miller, are among the top 5 writers to have elevated comic books from "funny books" to serious art.

The movie is apparently timed to open on Nov. 4th, the day before the 400th anniversary of Guy Fawkes day, which symbolism I'm guessing probably wont make a whole lot of difference in the US. Otherwise, however, the timing of a movie that examines a under fascist rule, and the fight to for freedom probably couldn't have come at a better time. A truly dark, troubling, thought-provoking story, if ever there was one.w00t!

Here's the list of resources I've compiled:

Classic Vendetta fansite
Vendetta movie blog
Official Movie Site (Not much as of June 19th)
IMDB entry
amazon listing for the collected graphic novel

No comments: