Saturday, June 11, 2005

Summertime Mugginess

It's hot.

It's freaking disgusting hot. Hot and Humid. It feels like it does when you take a hot shower on a warm day without the fan on, and the towels are almost useless because they don't absorb the water, so much as smear it around.

Looking at the NWS data, it fails to convey the full effect. According to them it's 84F with 63% humidity, which frankly doesn't sound all that bad. But it's worse than that.

If a ripper of a thunderstorm came through and cooled things off, it might not be so bad. It was supposed to be quite the stormy day today, and for most of the day it looked as if a big baddie was minutes away from coming through, but it never did. The ominous dark clouds and distant rumbles of thunder that loomed all day never managed to get their act together and pull a T-storm off. Grrrr......

I think I'm an anti-lizard. That is to say, instead of sitting out during the heat of the day on top of a rock, I'd prefer to be under the rock in the shade. Actually, I'd *prefer* to be in a dimly-lit, air-conditioned room in my boxers with a cool drink in my hand.

Last summer, or as I like to call it:"The Best Summer, EVER!", was cool and rainy. Again, looking at the historical data from the NWS, that fact isn't really reflected in this case, either:

Summer 2004 NEPA Temperature
MonthAvg. Temp(F)Temp Departure from Normal
aug 200468.8-1.5
jul 200470.0-2.1
jun 200465.1-2.4


The rainfall "departure from normal" numbers all indicate more than usual, but not by any huge margin. But I was there, man...I experienced it firsthand, and I know how it was.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got to go refill my drink. Because it's so dark in here, I spilled some on my boxers.

**UPDATE***
No sooner did I publish this post, than I noticed the headline story on msnbc about Tropical Storm Arlene touching down on the Gulf Coast. There's just no happy medium when it comes to nature, is there?

No comments: