Sunday, June 19, 2005

UK Public Smoking Ban?

During the only trip to California in my adult life, in '96, I was shocked to find out that they prohibited smoking in bars and restaurants. At the time, I had no idea that the concept would gain the traction that it has. Given the similar move by New York, and more recently the entire freaking country of Ireland, it certainly seems like the trend is gaining some badass momentum.

Early this morning, while doing some work, I noticed the timesonline story. (title: Smoking ban 'inevitable') Today, the guardian carries a headline story explaining that Blair will be pushing for a "total ban" on smoking.

The guardian article indicates that a recent poll found that:
"72 per cent of Britons are against an outright ban on smoking in pubs, clubs and bars"
and the timesonline story suggests that a full ban wouldn't go into effect until 2007....so if my current plans to get over there early next year work out, I may still have an opportunity to enjoy a pint in a smoky English pub before they make that illegal.

I guess my biggest gripe with that whole thing is; I understand the arguments of non-smokers, and I support a bar/restaurant owner making the decision to make their establishment smoke-free...but I'm obviously tweaked by the idea of mandatory smoking bans. Whatever intellectual agreement I might have with the idea for health reasons, my addict's heart just don't like it.

No comments: